Partner Support Technician
Descrição da Vaga de Emprego
We are currently recruiting a Partner Support Technician to support our efforts assisting local partner organisations in East Africa, based in Mozambique. The role will entail providing technical assistance to partner organisations involved in community-based fisheries management, and sharing technical and marine resource management experiences.
The successful candidate will provide bespoke training and technical support to local partners in all aspects of fisheries assessment and management, including monitoring and evaluation of landings − particularly in the design and use of mobile-based data collection systems − and supporting local partners in efforts to assist communities in the management of target small-scale fisheries.
Additional responsibilities will include working with partner organisations and colleagues in Blue Ventures’ conservation team to plan community exchanges to share learning and best practice in tropical small-scale fisheries management and locally-led marine conservation.
Provision of technical support to partners, and facilitation of grassroots learning through community exchanges, forms a key part of Blue Ventures’ outreach strategy throughout East Africa. This role will include regular field visits to community-based marine and coastal conservation sites in Mozambique as well as throughout East Africa and the broader western Indian Ocean region.
The successful candidate will be a motivated, proactive and highly organised individual, who enjoys independent working. She or he will have an excellent knowledge of the small-scale fisheries, marine conservation and development sectors in East Africa, as well as a proven track record of project management and partnership building, and excellent communication skills. Practical experience of community-based conservation and development initiatives in East Africa will be valuable to the role.
We are looking for a new colleague who thrives in environments that are dynamic, fast-paced, collegiate and ambitious, and is able to demonstrate experience of working independently and solving complex problems in challenging situations.
The Partner Support Technician will report to Blue Ventures’ UK-based partner support team, and be based at field locations alongside local partner organisations, with regular national travel to work with partners and field teams.
Blue Ventures is a fast growing and mission-driven social enterprise, offering excellent opportunities for further professional development.
Skills and Experience
- Fluency in English and Portuguese (required);
- Postgraduate level qualification in relevant subject (rural development, or environmental, fisheries or conservation science);
- At least five years’ practical experience in field-based conservation;
- Experience of small-scale fisheries assessment, ideally through participatory (community-based) methods;
- Strong analytical skills, and experience in data collection management and interpretation;
- Experience of teaching and mentoring in data systems, analysis and interpretation;
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office;
- Experience of Android data collection systems (ideally including Open Data Kit);
- Experience of financial and budget management;
- Experience of developing multi-sector partnerships, including with communities, fisheries authorities, and NGOs;
- Sensitivity to partner and community needs and interests; humility and commitment to identifying needs and leading local capacity development for conservation;
- Experience working with and reporting to donors, including corporations, trusts, foundations and agencies (desirable);
- Work experience in tropical developing contexts, including knowledge of marine environmental and Mozambique cultural contexts;
- Excellent writing skills, with a proven track record in both report writing and ideally peer-reviewed publication;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to give strong public presentations;
- Experience of teaching and/or delivering training, both to groups and one-to-one.
Apply through our website: https://blueventures.org/job/partner-support-technician-mozambique-2/